Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 22nd Feb 2008, 9:32   #121
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Weird happenings...

It's a catch-22 situation, isn't it though? For the police to take action, the guy needs to repeat the offence. For that to happen, Col's daughter needs to appear to be walking home alone.

Another line of attack might be for Col or Mr C - or both - to walk their daughter home a few times. That gives out the message loud and clear that they are fully aware of what's going on. That may well be enough to alarm him sufficiently so that he doesn't do it again.

Edit: Y'know the more I think of it, the angrier I get. How dare he cause so much distress. For myself I know I'd be chomping at the bit to actually confront him and put the fear of god into him - and my god wouldn't be a gentle, forgiving sort, I promise you! But at least that way, I'd feel more reassured he wouldn't dare bother my child again. Let me at the cretin, Col!

Last edited by HP; 22nd Feb 2008 at 9:48.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 10:01   #122
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I hadn't given her the alarm - bad of me but the first incident happened on Monday and on Tuesday I went off for a two-day solo reading break over the hill; and we'd agreed that she would only go anywhere with her friend so perhaps I wasn't in a hurry to give her the alarm as I should have been.

The police are taking an interest but the woman who talked to her last night wasn't as sympathetic as the one on Monday. However they have a reasonable description and are being watchful. They said that so far this man hasn't committed a crime, which left me thinking exactly the same as some of you: that in order to "do" something about it, he has to "do" it again.

I am telling as many people as possible so that they can keep a look-out and let me know if they see him. Mr C and I think it's possible he's a short-term worker living here for a few weeks since Daughter didn't recognise him at all, and our town is only a few thousand strong. There is work going on replacing 70's streetlights for Victoriana ones on the road where he stands; and also a big building project in a large house where different contractors are coming and going.

I'm hoping she spots him as we go by in the car and we can let the police know asap.
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 12:36   #123
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
The police are taking an interest but the woman who talked to her last night wasn't as sympathetic as the one on Monday.
That's shocking - a second time makes it much worse. I imagine with the police, the old adage "the squeakiest wheel gets the grease" is as apt as anywhere else - maybe you should complain.

A couple years ago I was on a ride-along with the police and there was an incident similar to this where a teenage girl had been followed by a man in a car. We were straight to her house and the police took it very seriously.
Old 29th Jan 2009, 14:07   #124
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Yesterday morning as I was choosing my clothes, a vintage poncho, given to me a while back by a co worker, just begged to be put on. I hadn't worn it before, even though I love to dress with a little bit of playfulness now and then, especially when seeing lots of the pediatric gang. Nothing over the top, just professional dress with some softeners. So I wore the poncho and was feeling very, well, 1960s, flipping down the hallway and enjoying the patterns and colors of the lovely garment. The co-worker stopped me and told me it had been two years to the day since her mother passed away and that my shawl had been her mother's. Brought me almost to tears, I didn't know what to say, but my friend was elated to have a tangible reminder of her mother show up for work!
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 16:39   #125
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

This is a weird one: Son #1 returns a pile of Disney DVD's to the living room (he's had them in his room as a range of choices for his girlfriend to watch). I leaf through them and find a DVD of Mulan.

Except it's not our DVD of Mulan, but a very recent updated release "Musical Masterpiece edition", with a different cover picture and everything.

Son says he got it off our shelves, wasn't aware of the front cover (not the sort of thing he'd notice).

Checking on our shelves in case we've just acquired an extra DVD from the pixies, our original copy of Mulan has gone and there is only this new and frankly weird and unacceptable DVD in its place.

No-one is owning up to losing the original and replacing it with the next best thing.
We've checked that friends coming for sleepovers haven't done an accidental swap.

But one of these must have happened!!!

Our original, and now the "Musical Masterpiece" version: