Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 24th Feb 2008, 14:18   #181
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Forum 101

Varifocal spectacles - prime contenders for Room 101, I reckon. Thanks to the money-grabbing optician who convinced me I needed three different pairs of lenses - one for reading, one for middle distance and one for stuff way off in the distance, I wound up with 2 pairs of these infernal and utterly useless contraptions. And boy did they come in at a pretty penny. But, as I've discovered at no small cost (in every sense of the worm), squashing three different focal lengths into one lens is just asking for trouble. You end up like one of those nodding dogs seen on the backshelf of a car - scanning up and down until the thing you want to look at is in the right section of the lens to achieve proper focus. Bah and fuckadoodles to all that. For an absolute miniscule fraction of the cost, ready-readers from Asda's do a far better job in every way. And because of the price, you can have a pair in every room, and bag, and jacket pocket - and one on top of your head for good measure .... which I do - at least when I'm not looking like this:

As an aside, thanks to the ageing process, my distance vision, which was never good, is now approaching normal!
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 19:55   #182
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

I have something nicely random to chuck in: those damn jiffy bags that, when you open them, are more like the contents of a vacuum bag. Received my Michelle de Kretser today and, tearing into the envelope, shitloads of dust and soot or whatever that crap is just burst out all over the floor and zipped up into the air, like a fizz of spores.
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 21:24   #183
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Hey, you should feel privileged - the sender used one of the expensive Jiffy bags! Most are cheaper (and lighter) alternatives with bubble lining. The sort of dusty paper-filled ones are the original Jiffy Bag.
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 21:29   #184
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Hey, you should feel privileged - the sender used one of the expensive Jiffy bags! Most are cheaper (and lighter) alternatives with bubble lining. The sort of dusty paper-filled ones are the original Jiffy Bag.
Privileged? They book got covered in dust too as they hadn't wrapped it up inside. I would much rather have had the bubble wrap as, as a sometime asthmatic, I don't get on with unexpected wafts of dust.
Old 8th Nov 2011, 15:52   #185
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Film- In The Cut. Oh forevermore this is bad.
Oh yes indeed. I have just seen this and don't remember that I have actively hated a film quite so vehemently - and got to the end of it. In it goes.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote