Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 27th Jul 2005, 18:55   #21
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Jerkass -

We Brits are the last people who should be taking the mickey out of your fashion sense - go to any British supermarket or seaside town in summer and you'll find evidence of the worst dress sense in the world. Well, I like your trews. As gil says, given your climate we should be glad you're wearing anything at all. (Er ... did that come out right?)
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 19:06   #22
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

As an aside, I think Palimpsest is showing a remarkable ability to turn any thread, no matter what its title, into a Jerkass Abuse Forum. Maybe we should set up a different forum? Wavid? JS? Amner?
Old 28th Jul 2005, 2:27   #23
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkass
So, Rick--how's that fine weather down your way? I was in Orlando in June, and you couldn't pay me to go near that place in July or August. And I'm even setting the hurricanes aside.
In a word, it's murder. My brain is melting.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 20:52   #24
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Misguided (and Non-misguided) Amazon Reviews

I've changed the title of this thread (...perhaps the opposite of misguided is in fact, guided?) so we can also include admirable Amazon reviews. Here's one of Jade Goody's autobiography.

64 of 93 people found the following review helpful:
Jade: My Review, 6 May 2006
Reviewer:Giordano Bruno (Rome, February 17, 1600) - See all my reviews It was my daughter's birthday last week. She turned 8. Her father thought it would be best, and the right time, to teach her about the beauty of reading. He suggested to me that I go onto Amazon to find the right book that she would remember all her life as her first. Scouring through the plethora of items on offer, I saw books from Dickens to Dostoevsky, Wolfe to Wells, Kerouac to Kessey, Tolstoy to Twain; a plateau of literary perfection laid out before me. And just as I was about to select the full collection of Shakespeare's works to hand to my daughter; to open her eyes to the beauty of words, to expand the boundaries of her imagination, to learn to love reading, I stumbled upon Jade: My Autobiography by Jade Goody. As I'm sure you can imagine, the aforementioned novelists were discarded immediately for the intellectual heavyweight we all know and love - despite not knowing exactly what it is she actually does - as Big Brother's and Heat! magazine's Jade Goody.

Upon hearing what I selected, my husband was quite bemused, but I managed to quickly calm him down by educating him about how this book would help our daughter to stop thinking she actually needs to do anything to achieve success in her life, and that instead all she needs to do is drop her IQ dramatically, expose herself in front of a couple million people, and wait for the dosh, designer clothes and book deals to come rolling in.

The great thing about Jade Goody is that she is an inspiration to us all. She's the loveable chain-smoking teenage mother from next door. Why on earth should we bother achieving something with our lives when reality TV can do it for you? Get naked, utter several idiotic remarks, and if you're lucky enough to have it edited into the action packed daily highlight show, then you'll soon have the vitriolic - I don't know what that means, but it sounds like a brain word - Heat! magazine creating a star out of you. Oh, how the peroxide, Heat! Generation will love you!

The problem with Dickens, Dostoevsky, Shakespeare and their ilk, is that they help open up the imaginations of people; they take their readers into their own individual world, to expand their knowledge of other places, people and words. Why subject an 8-year old to having to expand her imagination, to enlighten her, when she can be rich and famous and appear topless when she's older in the Sunday tabloids? Is knowledge really that important when you're dating a Second Division footballer?

It's likely that if you're on this page, you're familiar with the Heat! Generation icon that is Jade Goody. Idiotic and most probably illiterate, it's inevitable that she has never read a book in her life. That is why I believe it's such a great thing that she can be paid thousands, even millions, to cash in on the celebrity reality TV and Heat! magazine created, and have some ghost writer - I guess this one in particular hasn't much of a soul...- write about her life. It's really great to see that in the year 2006, this is where we have came.
Old 5th Nov 2008, 13:39   #25
John Self
Administrator

Not an unusual Amazon review, but an unusual book title.
Old 5th Nov 2008, 13:52   #26
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Just reading Giordano Bruno's other reviews (link in post #24) I think we should get her over here. She sounds like she'd fit right in.
Old 12th Nov 2008, 10:03   #27
John Self
Administrator

Someone on Amazon has pointed out that customer Leo McMarley from Edinburgh seems only to review books by Canongate, and to give them all five stars. This isn't quite true - he has also reviewed two books by Penguin, and one each by Faber and Tindal Street Press - but for the other 29, it's a remarkable coincidence. (On 6 Sep 07, he reviewed two books published by Canongate on 6 Sep 07.)

The same Canongate-only, five-stars-only rule seems to apply to reviewers Ms Stephanie, perkins and Rani. They all reviewed a selection of Burns poems within a day of publication. Canongate, of course, are pretty free with review copies via Goodreads and other sources, so that's a possible explanation.