Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 5th Nov 2008, 22:07   #1
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Michael Crichton dies

Michael Crichten died of cancer today aged 66. As no doubt everybody knows, he was the author of many best selling novels including some quite good ones, of which I would nominate Jurassic Park, Rising Sun, Sphere and The Andromeda Strain. These and several others were adapted for the cinema with varied success. He was also the creator of television's ER, and for the big screen the writer-director of Westworld, The Great Train Robbery, Runaway and (partly) The 13th Warrior.

So, a multi-talented chap. Speaking for myself, I found his writing and the various projects arising from it to be a bit hit or miss, but the books (and the original films) I mentioned above I have enjoyed in the past - so thanks.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2008, 22:15   #2
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Michael Crichten dies

Cor.

Thanks for the heads up, Nou. I think I shall watch either The Andromeda Strain, Coma, or Westworld in his memory. And possibly have a read of Sphere.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2008, 22:25   #3
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Michael Crichten dies

I was stunned to see this. He and his family really kept it quiet. Say what you want about the guy, but he had it in him to write a hell of an entertaining novel (Jurassic Park is ridiculously fun), and he was extremely smart. Also, he was tall as shit.

Supposedly, he did finish one last novel, and I have to say I'm extra-curious to see what it's about.
Old 5th Nov 2008, 22:37   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Michael Crichton dies

Yes, I've read about how unimaginably tall he was, and I also remember being surprised not so long ago at how (relatively) old he was. Or maybe they just kept using old publicity photos.

The only book of his I've read was Jurassic Park - like, before the film, okay? - and I admit I found it less fun than bill did. I still picked his books up in the shops, to see what hot button issue he was writing about this time. The impression I picked up was that many of his later books were written with a particular 'issue' in mind which then got a light coating of character and plot. I think one of his recent novels was a sceptical view of global warming.

Not to derail this thread, but William Wharton, author of Birdy and others (including Franky Furbo) also died recently.
Old 5th Nov 2008, 22:44   #5
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

The global warming book is State of Fear. I haven't read it, but supposedly his real point is to be found in the end notes. I make no great claims for him as a writer, and I did think he was hit and miss, but when he hit, it was worth it.

Here's an interview with him from a couple of years ago. You may disagree with his view on certain topics, but he was no dummy. (It's a long interview, so I don't really expect anyone to watch it, but I'm linking to it anyway.)
Old 6th Nov 2008, 0:28   #6
gil
Senior Palimpsester

>>I also remember being surprised not so long ago at how (relatively) old he was
Watch it, JS, he was younger than me.

He was kind of on the edge of science fiction at times, but never a proper sf author. I tended to be disappointed by his books, though the movie adaptations were often quite good.

He was also a global warming supporter. He didn't deny it was happening. He just thought it wouldn't be such a disaster. Who knows? Maybe he was right. But that kind of talk by an influential man is liable to give folk excuses to ignore the need to cut CO2 emissions and conserve energy.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2008, 1:07   #7
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Good man - I loved Jurassic Park the book as well as the movie. And Coma and WestWorld.

Quite a day for it: Jacques Piccard's obituary was in our paper today: tremendous hydronaut son of aeronaut forebears. I still shudder when I think of him going down Challenger Deep.
Old 6th Nov 2008, 10:37   #8
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Send a message via MSN to Digger

I was surprised to hear this on the radio yesterday - and slightly amazed that anything else got through the election hum! I liked reading several of his, particularly Jurassic Park - I liked the fractals.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Nov 2008, 11:48   #9
saliotthomas
Palimpian of the Year

deserves a medal

I only read Congo and in was very untertaining,a bit on the previsible side though.Not long ago i watch The great train robery,with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland,that he directed.It was good but not has good as the memory i kept of it.

saliotthomas is offline   Reply With Quote