View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 17:28   #3
Senior Palimpsester
could do better
Default Re: The Returned/Les Revenants (possible spoilers!)

Originally Posted by ono no komachi View Post
The last episode, whilst by no means answering most of the questions the audience had been asking, was effectively climactic.
I'm not so sure about that. Just like The Fall a few weeks ago, I felt that The Returned ended with exactly the right level of tension to lead into a concluding episode. There was definitely too much left unresolved for me to feel satisified with it as the end of the series. With programmes like this, I want to be told a complete story. Like you, I don't want another Lost (which, incidentally, I tired of early in the second series, so much so I was glad when it was no longer available on channels I could received).

Though I'm more than happy for there not to be an 'and they all lived happily ever after', riding off into the sunset, type finish, ending an absorbing drama with too much of a cliffhanger is a very good way to make me lose interest, whereas if there's a 'proper' ending I'm eager to return for another series. I want to see more of The Bridge, but I now can't get excited about The Fall or The Returned, though I loved both of them right up until the disappointing non-end of both of them.

Essentially, I feel cheated, jerked back to the reality of the need to keep advertising revenue coming in. That's the only reason I can see for it to be done this way - a money-spinning angle put ahead of viewers' pleasure in well-made, well-told, challenging dramas.
Libraries gave us power.
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote