View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2013, 13:44   #1
Senior Palimpsester
could do better
Default The Returned/Les Revenants (possible spoilers!)

Somewhere in the French Alps, an isolated village finds some of its dead are returning, apparently in rude health and with no recollection of their deaths. So began The Returned eight weeks ago on Channel 4. Entirely in French with English subtitles, this seems a brave choice for their 9pm Sunday night slot, but it seems to have been accepted just as well as the subtitled European dramas BBC4 is so fond of broadcasting.

A proper mystery, The Returned (or Les Revenants, to give it it's original French title) is full of creepy happenings and an array of characters, living and returned, who seem pretty much split between the sinister and the bewildered, each increasing in their sinisterness or bewilderment week by week.

The final episode was shown last night, at about the time I was watching the penultimate one, so I won't be watching till tonight. I still have an awful lot of unanswered questions and I'll be amazed if they can be answered in an hour.

What horrors await in the drowned town at the bottom of the slowly draining reservoir?
Why is the burglar-turned-refuge-manager so scary and weird?
What on earth happened to Lena's back and how was it so easily cured by a would-be murderer with a way with nettles?
Why did already-dead Victor come back a few years previously to cause a bus crash?
Are all the deaths of the returned linked?
Did anyone die when the dam broke before, and if so, were the villagers to blame, and are they now being punished for it in some bizarre, slow-build way?
Who is the mysterious sex psychic, why did she come to the village and why is she so delighted that crowd of scary people turned up at The Lake Pub?
Does The Lake Pub have an English name to imply there's something a bit wrong with it?
Are the policeman and the priest trying to cover up something bad they did or protecting the town from some evil only they know about?
Why have the village boundaries become a bit like the impenetrable mist that surrounds the house in The Others?

And so on.

Having watched it just before I went to bed, I obsessed about it all night, in dreamland and wakeful moments, so I'm quite concerned I'm going to feel very let down by the eighth part when the end credits roll, as happened with The Fall.

Now all I have to do is avoid this thread and Twitter till I've seen it.
Libraries gave us power.

Last edited by Lucoid; 29th Jul 2013 at 23:47.
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote