View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 12:26   #1
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Default Song lyrics quiz

Here's another quiz I thought was fun. This is from the latest issue of Uncut: the first lines from 12 very well-known rock and pop songs that have supposedly been multi-babelfished - that is, translated from English to Portuguese to to Urdu to German to Japanese and then back to English again (and presumably cleaned up a bit). So, who can recognize them? Answer either with the song title or, for extra points, the first line as it's supposed to be.
  1. "This evening we reflect upon the difficulties of the day."
    It's been a hard day's night. (“A Hard Day’s Night”, The Beatles)
  2. "The woman was given an agreeable assessment as to the value of her jewelry."
    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold. (“Stairway To Heaven”, Led Zeppelin)
  3. "The departure of my child prompted me to locate an alternate living space."
    Well since my baby left me, I found a new place to dwell. (“Heartbreak Hotel”, Elvis)
  4. "A response to your futile inquiry remains unobtainable."
    There's no point in asking, you'll get no reply. (“Pretty Vacant”, The Sex Pistols)
  5. "My mother came to an end due to lack of mental assistance."
    Finished with my woman cause she couldn't help me with my mind. (“Paranoid”, Black Sabbath)
  6. "The regular arrival of fowl in your immediate proximity is baffling."
    Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near? (“Close To You”, The Carpenters)
  7. "A thoughtful exit is compulsory, happily inform the felon."
    There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief. (“All Along The Watchtower”, Bob Dylan)
  8. "My morning ablutions are preceded by worship."
    The moment I wake up, before I put on my make-up, I say a little prayer for you. (“I Say A Little Prayer”, Dionne Warwick)
  9. "My ancestry makes me embarrassed of rude misdemanours."
    I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. (“How Soon Is Now”, The Smiths)
  10. "I wager you were surprised by the exposure of your mischievous blueprint."
    I bet you wonder how I knew about your plans to make me blue. (“I Heard It Through The Grapevine”, Marvin Gaye)
  11. "Michael's slenderness is to blame for my brain exploding. Hello!"
    Oh, Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind! Hey Mickey! (“Mickey”, Toni Basil)
  12. "An invitation to a well-stocked arsenal joyfully defeats mimicry."
    Load up on guns, bring your friends. It's fun to lose and to pretend. ("Smells Like Teen Spirit", Nirvana)

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen

Last edited by beer good; 30th May 2008 at 9:32.
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote