Old 1st Jun 2006, 9:45   #2
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: Powerpoint and the Death of Civilisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
one set of slides I have been looking at this morning has 51 slides for an hour and a half's worth of raining.
I'd hate to see how many slides you could fit in during a blizzard.

Quote:
Having seen this particular consultant in action before, I know that all she is going to do is stand there and read them out.
That is a pet hate of mine when it comes to training sessions. If I feel that the trainer has just sat there and read through the slides when I am quite capable of doing so myself then I always make this the most important comment in the feedback form at the end. That and the lack of biscuits.

Quote:
On the other hand, a presentation I was handed the other day featured a different gradient background on each slide, at least two animated .gifs per slide, bullet points and slides flying and fading in all manner of directions and various other horrors.
I can see five jumping on that new show: When Powerpoint Goes Bad.

Quote:
I just finished typing up my first set of slides for a half hour session I am taking next week. There are 6 slides. It's all in 30 point Arial. There is no clip-art.

My question is: am I just very dull? Or is it really the case that with Powerpoint, less is more?!
Six slides for half an hour? I take it you will be doing a lot of talking around them?

I recently did a Presentation Skills course because I'm being expected to do such things in the future to management and visitors, etc. and I'd never done one before. Given any topic I wanted, I chose Oranges, inspired by the John McPhee book I had at the time.

Looking at my slides, I can see that it was rather consistent in theme. There was a picture of oranges in a tree that I reduced in vibrancy by 85% so that it added a bit of texture to the sheet and nothing more. Then the header was in orange text, Courier New. Bullet points, if any, were little cross sections of oranges.

I went with the philosophy of no more than six bullets per page and no more than six words per bullet. Spaces it out and gives a brief summary. Then I, as the speaker, would just take the (up to) six words and talk away on it.

The only time I used animation was for arrows to fly in when pointing out the parts of an orange. Bullet points and page forwards were just at the click of a button.

My presentation lasted ten minutes and I had about eight slides.

So, er, yes, you are quite dull.