Thread: Filmlist 2017
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 21:11   #5
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Filmlist 2017

10 The Big Sleep
Not so much a script as a collection of great lines.
09 Manchester by the Sea
Not bad. A small story, nicely told.
08 Mary and Max
Great stuff, grey/beige humour with unexpected emotional depths.
07 Angel Face
A fun watch, surprising for the strange psychodrama gripping the female lead and the ambiguous did he get what he deserved at all of the male.
06 Logan
Not the amazing breakthrough-for-superhero-movies I was led to expect, but a decent enough action road-movie. Reminiscent of Children of Men without being half as good.
05 I Am Not A Serial Killer
Another treat, due to not knowing what to expect. Has the feel of an 80s B-movie, or at least the kind of film that mimics such things (like House of The Devil did).
04 Moonlight
Excellent. One scene, the title-defining one, betrayed its sort-of theatrical roots and spelled things out more than was necessary, but I can't imagine I'll see a better film this year.
03 Under the Shadow
Quite a treat, as I didn't know what it was going to be outside of the most general terms. A clever piece of classic-style horror, playing the anxieties of the setting out in subtle, then overt, supernatural terms.
02 A Recent Planet of the Apes Sequel
The one that has a bunch of non-entities and Gary Oldman in it.
01 Rogue One
Aside from the final five minutes or so, I found this to be a waste of my time. While I quite enjoyed The Force Awakens, I didn't think it was particularly good. Now I've seen Rogue One, I look back on it rather more favourably...

Last edited by Noumenon; 8th Apr 2017 at 22:21.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote