Palimpsest

Palimpsest (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pointless messages (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3380)

Lucoid 9th Jan 2008 12:54

Pointless messages

I can't be the only one who's noticed that pointless messages are getting more prolific. I'm not just talking about the OTT safety notices/disclaimers that have been ridiculed for so long now that it's getting boring (Warning: this fresh cup of coffee may be hot; Warning: this hot apple pie may be hot; Warning: Don't burn your mouth you moron), or the intelligence-insulting recaps after TV ads that get Radio Times letter-writers (ok, and me) so hot under the collar, but those ridiculous wastes of space cluttering up what must once have been carefully-thought-out designs, especially on food packaging. I found this example on a pack of Italian herbs the other day, and, although it's by no means the worst (best?) one I've come across, I thought I'd share it with you:

Quote:

Why not try...
Stirring into Bolognese and tomato-based pasta sauces.
Sprinkling into omelettes with grated cheese.
Sprinkling over pizza or roasted vegetables.
Perhaps I should have stuck this on the food thread for those of you on the verge of chucking out those unused Italian herbs for lack of inspiration.

amarie 9th Jan 2008 13:00

Re: Pointless messages

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucoid (Post 81703)
Stirring into Bolognese and tomato-based pasta sauces.

So that's what you do with Italian herbs. You know, I never knew, and I've got packets and packets of the stuff floating around the house. D'oh!

On sort of the same thing, over the Christmas holidays I noticed that Classic FM were advertising some form of booze - I can't remember now* - finishing with the irritating, not to mention patronising line 'Please enjoy responsibly'.

*I can't remember because I was so irresponsible with my alcohol consumption that I was pissed for the whole two weeks!

Lucoid 9th Jan 2008 13:01

Pleased to have been of service.

John Self 9th Jan 2008 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarie (Post 81705)
Classic FM were advertising some form of booze ... finishing with the irritating, not to mention patronising line 'Please enjoy responsibly'.

Oh that's ubiquitous now, isn't it? As I understand it, it's the brainchild of the Portman Group, the alcohol industry's self-appointed governing body, which is desperate to appear responsible and avoid government intervention in alcohol advertising or sale. Frankly I reckon they're on a sticky wicket, and their card is well and truly marked. The notion that Britain will become a continental culture with people sipping wine on street cafes if they're encouraged to 'drink responsibly' is laughable. We're a nation of boozers and we know it.

amarie 9th Jan 2008 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucoid (Post 81707)
Pleased to have been of service.

We could exchange herb ideas during the BDO! That'll be after the water sports though...

amarie 9th Jan 2008 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 81709)
Oh that's ubiquitous now, isn't it? As I understand it, it's the brainchild of the Portman Group, the alcohol industry's self-appointed governing body, which is desperate to appear responsible and avoid government intervention in alcohol advertising or sale. Frankly I reckon they're on a sticky wicket, and their card is well and truly marked. The notion that Britain will become a continental culture with people sipping wine on street cafes if they're encouraged to 'drink responsibly' is laughable. We're a nation of boozers and we know it.

Well quite. It doesn't matter what you tell people regarding their boozing - if they want to get shit-faced then they will, and as you say, we have a reputation for crapulence. Every time I look at my packet of ciggies and see the warnings about untimely death, loss of sex drive, warts on my nose etc., I don't think, hey, look at that, I think I'll give up now, I just have a fag and get on with it.

Ang 9th Jan 2008 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarie (Post 81711)
Well quite. It doesn't matter what you tell people regarding their boozing - if they want to get shit-faced then they will, and as you say, we have a reputation for crapulence. Every time I look at my packet of ciggies and see the warnings about untimely death, loss of sex drive, warts on my nose etc., I don't think, hey, look at that, I think I'll give up now, I just have a fag and get on with it.

Yes, but kids notice it and I'm convinced that's why most people give up. (Not the kids noticing the warnings on the pack, but kids being afraid mum or dad is going to die).

amarie 9th Jan 2008 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ang (Post 81713)
Yes, but kids notice it and I'm convinced that's why most people give up. (Not the kids noticing the warnings on the pack, but kids being afraid mum or dad is going to die).

Hmm, I don't know. A lot of people give up because of the cost of smoking, not necessarily because they think they're going to die.

But if they act as a deterrent then I'm all for it. Smoking is a disgusting habit - not to mention expensive - and isn't very good for you at all, so the less people that do smoke the better. I'm just in the unfortunate position of absolutely loving cigarettes and all their harmful little chemicals.

kirsty 9th Jan 2008 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarie (Post 81711)
Every time I look at my packet of ciggies and see the warnings about untimely death, loss of sex drive, warts on my nose etc., I don't think, hey, look at that, I think I'll give up now, I just have a fag and get on with it.

Totally agree. I am now an ex-smoker, but my giving up had absolutely nothing to do with those warnings. In fact, I have fond memories of being in the pub with fellow smoker friends and playing "Smoking Warning Snap". They could have plastered a full sized technicolour diseased lung on the packet, it really wouldn't have made a difference to me while still smoking.

Though, if the warnings do deter people from starting in the first place, then all well and good. I just don't think they tend to have much affect on people who already smoke.

For what it's worth, I gave up because I realised I didn't enjoy it anymore. Still occasionally miss it, though only when drunk. A year and a half, with one or two lapses (while drunk).

John Self 9th Jan 2008 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirsty
They could have plastered a full sized technicolour diseased lung on the packet, it really wouldn't have made a difference to me while still smoking

I believe that's the next stage which will be brought in in the not too distant future - well, not full-sized obviously, but with about 60% of the pack cover being taken up with colour images of a cancerous mouth etc. Apparently it worked in Canada.