Palimpsest

Palimpsest (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Other Reviews (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Keith Barrett Show (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=523)

amner 4th Aug 2004 11:18

The Keith Barrett Show

We've praised Rob Brydon fairly extensively on this site in the past, probably because - dammit - he's such a funny guy. I'm concerned, however, about his latest outing The Keith Barrett Show, an extension of his Marion and Geoff schtick, where he pitches his hopelessly optimistic cabbie Keith into the celebrity bear-pit, to do battle against B- C- and D-list nobodies (Darren Day, fr'instance).

See, I'm only laughing a couple of times a show. Anyone else catching it?

John Self 4th Aug 2004 11:46

I agree, although I think I'm liking it slightly more than you, amner. There are times - particularly this week with Lembit Opik and Sian Lloyd - where the uncomfortable moments seem unintentional. There's also a problem with the characterisation of Keith Barret who, as the diffident star of Marion & Geoff, would never be confident enough to host a TV show before a live audience; and his innocence is lost, as he makes (admittedly smart) quips and digs at people which are all Brydon and not in the character at all.

However I still watch it and I am thinking of going to see his live show which got good reviews at the Edinburgh Festival last year. It depends too I think on who the guests are - I thought his appeals to Suzanne Shaw to leave Darren Day while he had the blindfold on ("Suzanne! What are you thinking of! It's Darren Day!") were pretty funny. And for Monday night comedy it beats the new series of Coupling, which has really rolled downhill since Jeff left.

Wavid 4th Aug 2004 12:10

Comedy is pretty bad at the moment. The Jeff replacement on Coupling is appalling - he seems to be just doing a very bad impression of Jeff the whole time.

Mind you, I was quite interested by the closing scene in the otherwise execrable Two Pints of Lager... in which the terminally unfunny Ralf Little is gunned down by the police, following one of his 'friends' rather implausibly changing his record at the national statistics office so that he is Britain's most wanted man. I thought this was terrifically bleak, though it was promptly ruined by the fact that a phone poll is going to be run to decide whether he should live or die.

As for the Keith Barrett Show, I can't say I have found it terribly amusing. I think the spoof chat show has been done to death, to be honest.

amner 4th Aug 2004 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self
his appeals to Suzanne Shaw to leave Darren Day while he had the blindfold on ("Suzanne! What are you thinking of! It's Darren Day!") were pretty funny.

The Lord of the Engagment Ring!

Quote:

And for Monday night comedy it beats the new series of Coupling, which has really rolled downhill since Jeff left.

It has been pretty poor, huh? What were they thinking?

amner 4th Aug 2004 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavid
the terminally unfunny Ralf Little is gunned down by the police

Please let this be real life ...?

jim 4th Aug 2004 12:23

Quote:

it beats the new series of Coupling, which has really rolled downhill since Jeff left.

Agreed. But has no-one noticed that Jack Davenport is a really terrible actor? He was equally wooden in the otherwise excellent Pirates of the Caribbean

Wavid 4th Aug 2004 12:53

What else could you expect from a man with a genetic link to Jonathan Aitken? Eh? EH?

John Self 4th Aug 2004 13:59

Although on the plus side he has a non-genetic link to the great Patrick McGrath (he's his step-son). But yes he can't really act, or at least can't act out-and-out comedy (he was OK in This Life and The Talented Mr Ripley) - whenever he goes into one of the overwritten observational riffs in Coupling he sounds exactly like Ben Elton doing stand-up.

I admit I will give anything that Steven Moffat writes a good deal of leeway before I give up on it, ever since Press Gang on Children's ITV. Anyone remember his pre-Coupling sitcom, Joking Apart?

Wavid 4th Aug 2004 14:11

I vaguely remember that a programme called 'Joking Apart' existed, but not any details at all. Was it a good one?

I never watched Press Gang - it was on ITV, after all.

amner 4th Aug 2004 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavid
I never watched Press Gang - it was on ITV, after all.

A very young Julia Sawalha in there, I believe. Plus Dexter Fletcher (and Gabrielle Anwar, Lucy Benjamin, etc).

Dexter, of course, was later to graduate to The Rachel Papers, penned by a certain Mr Amis. It's all connected innit?