Palimpsest

Palimpsest (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Recent Purchases 2008 (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3354)

Wavid 3rd Jan 2008 9:55

Recent Purchases 2008

Here we go for another year... let us know how your book buying embargos fail here!

Stewart 3rd Jan 2008 10:18

Re: Recent Purchases 2008

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavid (Post 80883)
let us know how your book buying embargos fail here!

Sure thing:
  • The Golden Notebook, Doris Lessing
  • The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay, Michael Chabon
  • Gentlmen Of The Road, Michael Chabon
  • Then We Came To The End, Joshua Ferris
  • A True Story Based On Lies, Jennifer Clement
  • The Invention Of Morel, Adolfo Bioy Casares*
* Pretty much because, on reading the back, I found it was the inspiration for Robbe-Grillet in writing my favourite film, Last Year In Marienbad.

John Self 3rd Jan 2008 10:47

I'll be interested to know what you make of The Invention of Morel, Stewart. Scott Pack gave it ***** last year, I gave it ***00 and Quink gave it *0000.

Stewart 3rd Jan 2008 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 80891)
I'll be interested to know what you make of The Invention of Morel, Stewart. Scott Pack gave it ***** last year, I gave it ***00 and Quink gave it *0000.

Quite a mix of opinion. I'll be sure to award it either a **000 or a ****0, and whoever reads it next can get what's left.

Colyngbourne 3rd Jan 2008 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 80891)

That's on my Keep An Eye Out For list as well.

Lizzy Siddal 3rd Jan 2008 12:47

Book buying embargoes? Ha!

I think I lasted a few hours longer than Stewart though. I made a purchase from Greenmetropolis last night .... with an inkling that I may know who sold it to me ....... The book

The Poison that Fascinates - Jennifer Clements

Wavid 3rd Jan 2008 16:43

Just been to Waterstones in Kettering, where I was served by none other than our very own Kumquat. Bought Mr Pip, The Welsh Girl and Douglas Coupland's Jpod in a three fer two stylee.

Then I went into Smiths to buy some paper and found myself buying On Chesil Beach for £3.50 which was rather bargainous, I thought.

John Self 3rd Jan 2008 16:53

Oh, and how is kumquat? She hasn't been around here much or on her blog (and I can't believe she is still currently reading Fire in the Blood).

Went into Smith's to buy some paper ... and got some free words on it. Excellent.

Wavid 3rd Jan 2008 16:56

She seems very well. Busy, so not long to chat, but I am sure there will be other chances seeing as she runs my nearest bookshop!

Does this qualify as the Smallest Big Day Out Eva?

abecedarian 3rd Jan 2008 17:32

Do library books count against one's book purchasing embargoes? I like to think I do my part to help my local library justify their existence.