Palimpsest

Palimpsest (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Amazon - Pros and Cons (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2194)

Lizzy Siddal 11th Sep 2006 21:56

Amazon - Pros and Cons

Ok - so the thread title is a little misleading as I'm starting this thread just to have a mini rant.

I received an exciting package today containing the latest Boyd and the latest Unsworth. Unfortunately I'm spared the dilemma of deciding which to read first as they are both damaged.

Dust covers wrinkled on top edge and dented front boards both!

It's the first time I've received dented book boards but I'm finding that the dustcovers are rarely in "fine" condition when delivered by Amazon.

Does anyone else have this problem - or am I too picky?

Paul 11th Sep 2006 22:21

Re: Amazon - Pros and Cons

I have received a few books with "dings" on occasion but the one time I received a package that was completely mangled, I contacted amazon immediately and they shipped me a new package before I even returned the original. The few times I've had problems, their customer service has always been excellent so I would definitely let them know.

gil 12th Sep 2006 8:49

I'm a regular buyer, and I cannot remember ANY problem with book condition from Amazon. They once sent me someone else's order, but that was sorted out in due course.

John Self 12th Sep 2006 9:50

My lovely Everyman hardback of Patricia Highsmith's first three Ripley novels had a hole in the front cover which went through to the first hundred pages or so, as though it had been speared by a bradawl. The packaging was undamaged so it must have left Amazon in that condition. I returned it and they changed it without quibble. It is a pain in the arse though, particularly if it's a book you've been eagerly awaiting.

Hekaterine 12th Sep 2006 9:52

I've just had an e-mail from an Amazon seller, refunding my money because the book I bought as 'good condition' has been discovered to be only 'acceptable' on packing it up. They are still sending me the book, which I can either keep or return.

I was quite impressed.

Digger 12th Sep 2006 9:52

I'm lucky enough to have never had a problem, and if a dust cover has perhaps been wrinkled, I haven't notised. Nor have I had much problem with external sellers through Amazon although my purchases that way have been few.

Kimberley 12th Sep 2006 14:14

I received Seven Lies from Amazon on Saturday and while it was fine the dustjacket on the Louis Sacher book I ordered for my 12 year old was creased and bent at the top. I haven't had this before with Amazon... maybe they've got new packers?

I decided not to do anything about it. In my son's hands the cover will get much worse anyway... just being realistic. It do think Amazon should take more care though, and I would have been a lot less sanguine had it been my cover that was damaged.

Lizzy Siddal 12th Sep 2006 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberley (Post 42304)
the dustjacket on the Louis Sacher book I ordered for my 12 year old was creased and bent at the top.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! It's been the case on my last three orders .... time, as you say, to become less sanguine.

Kimberley 12th Sep 2006 20:55

And yet... I've just ordered a GPS unit from Amazon too. At least they can't damage the cover of that (?!)

Actually, I've become a bit of an Amazon-a-holic and I have to say my vacuum cleaner arrived in perfect working order -- that's why I was happy to order the GPS through them. I'm amazed at the things they sell.

I think it's time to start complaining about book covers though. Hopefully after a few get returned they'll start being a bit more careful.

John Self 16th Dec 2008 16:50

I stopped shopping at Amazon earlier this year after reading in the newspapers how they use bully-boy tactics to browbeat publishers into accepting their demands for greater discounts. (By removing the "Buy It Now" button from all books by that publisher, basically, until the publisher capitulates.) I've also been aware that it's the online equivalent of Tesco, reaching its tentacles further and further afield from its origins as a bookshop, and using its economies of scale to undercut competitors.

So for a while now I've been buying my books in my local store where possible, or from The Book Depository where not (which is usually as cheap as Amazon and offers free delivery worldwide on everything). And CDs etc I buy on the high street, as I'd quite like the shops still to be there at the end of the recession.

Now - hat tip to Kirsty - here is another good reason not to shop there. The demands placed on their staff seem like something one would read of a Bangladeshi sweatshop.