Palimpsest

Palimpsest (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Top Tens (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Top Ten 1990s Albums (http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4240)

Daveybot 7th Dec 2009 14:18

Top Ten 1990s Albums

After Amner raised the issue of the NME's recent top 50 albums of the 2000s, I got to thinking about how hard it was to rate things objectively when viewed from so recently. Give it ten years, I thought, and then have another look.

...Which got me wondering about how I'd rate the top ten albums of the 1990s. The ones I listen to the most then? the ones I listen to the most now? The ones which received the critical acclaim?

I became befuddled, but over the past week I've come up with the following matrix. For better or for worse, here are what I believe to be 40 good albums from the 1990s, and the way I listen/listened to them:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/...ceb2b4b0_b.jpg

Why didn't I listen to Nirvana that much whilst a teenager? It's an absolutely brilliant album. And why don't I listen to it that much now? I honestly don't know. Same with Portishead, and almost everything in that batch.

And Terrorvision - I could have sworn I would like that album for ages back in the day, but it's honestly been years.

And why didn't I catch ahold of Massive Attack at the time? I remember liking Unfinished Sympathy a lot, but for some reason it took ten years for me to properly appreciate that album.

Anyway. Discuss, if y'all like!

Digger 7th Dec 2009 14:23

Re: Top Ten 1990s Albums

Did you really not listen to Massive Attack back then, really? I had that one and Blue Lines back then, cant imagine you didn't listen to it too. Mind you, I guess I was off at uni through the second half of the 90s and that's where I really remember those albums from.

I listened to Terrorvision the other day driving back from site - it still rocks! In fact I refiled all my CDs recently (yes, that sad) and had a bit of a retro afternoon listening to several in that bottom left quadrant.

Daveybot 7th Dec 2009 15:11

i've been listening to a lot of it this past week or so.

What's weird is just how well I can sing along to every single song on the left side, even if I haven't listened to them in ages. And it turns out I sing at exactly the same pitch as the bloke what is off of the Crash Test Dummies. I'd forgotten about that.

Stewart 8th Dec 2009 13:59

August And Everything After by Counting Crows and The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds go immediately into my top ten 90s albums. Will need to think about the rest.

Daveybot 8th Dec 2009 14:17

I put together a spotify playlist of this lot:

1990s - Dave's 4 top 10s

...But I keep thinking of things I left out! Ahhh, twas bound to be so, I guess.

John Self 8th Dec 2009 14:27

Using Db's matrix as primary inspiration, followed by my iTunes library, I come up with:

Radiohead, OK Computer
Pet Shop Boys, Behaviour
Blur, 13
R.E.M., Automatic for the People
George Michael, Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1
The Auteurs, After Murder Park
Depeche Mode, Violator
The Divine Comedy, Promenade
Stephen Duffy, Music in Colors
Morrissey, Vauxhall & I
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Let Love In
Suede, Dog Man Star
Tom Waits, Bone Machine

Of course I don't listen to any of them regularly now, but the point is that they absolutely fix my memories in a point in time and define that era for me. And I can go back to them any time and know that they're still good.

Stewart 8th Dec 2009 14:44

Oh, Promenade is a good one. The best Divine Comedy album made.

Adding the self-titled debut from Rage Against The Machine, too.

Daveybot 8th Dec 2009 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 114580)
George Michael, Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1...

and
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 114580)
...Suede, Dog Man Star...

Both would be down in the bottom right quadrant of my chart there, I think (Didn't really listen to them then, and don't now either) but by golly you're right - classics, both. I'd completely forgotten about the existence of George Michael. Edited to add: Ooooh, mind you, I think I'm mistaking that album for his first one, which was 1987 so I can't count it. My mistake! A good start to that one, though.

fanshawe 8th Dec 2009 15:18

Using three panels of Daveybot's excellent grid:

Listened to then/ still listen to now:

Wilco - Summerteeth
Screaming Trees - Dust
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Cornershop - When I Was Born For The Seventh Time
Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle
Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Urusei Yatsura - We Are Urusei Yatsura
Mogwai - Young Team

Listen to now/ didn't listen to then:
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
Nas - Illmatic
Robert Wyatt - Shleep
Daniel Johnston - Fun
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Lemonheads - Come on Feel the Lemonheads
Sonic Youth - Dirty
Pulp - Different Class

Listened to it then/ Don't listen to it now:

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sebadoh - The Sebadoh
Metallica - The Black Album
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider

Stewart 8th Dec 2009 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanshawe (Post 114584)
Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album

I was toying with throwing ...I Care Because You Do in to my top ten. Still listen to it fifteen years on.
Quote:

Urusei Yatsura - We Are Urusei Yatsura
I listened to this again recently, having unearthed it from a box. Fun to listen to, but fades away quickly.