Palimpsest (
-   Top Tens (
-   -   Top 10 Directors (

The Third Man 27th Mar 2009 0:43

Top 10 Directors
I went back as far as page 3 and couldn't find a Top 10 Directors thread. For me:

Alfred Hitchcock

David Lynch

Luis Buñuel Portolés

Orson Welles

Jan Svankmajer

Stanley Kubrick

Coen Brothers (it wouldn't be fair to choose between them. Imagine a 'Joel Vs Ethan Coen' thread? That'd be insane!!!)

Marc Caro/ Jean-Pierre Jeunet collaborations

Shane Meadows

Martin Scorsese

fanshawe 27th Mar 2009 16:16

Re: Top 10 Directors
1. Krzysztof Kieślowski - for The Ten Commandments in particular.
2. Spike Lee - he's childishly iconoclastic sometimes, but Do The Right Thing and She Hate Me both added to the language of cinema. Brilliant at his best.
3. David Lynch - there's a Facebook group called David Lynch's films make me feel dangerous and sexy (or something similar), which about sums it up.
4. Jean Luc Godard - he might have made some really unwatchable shit on occasion, as well as a dated and naff dystopia (Alphaville), but Breathless and Le Mempris are perfect in their own way.
5. Alfred Hitchcock - Psycho.
6. Gus Van Sant - mainstream/ arthouse chameleon. Never boring unless intentionally so. Elephant, Paranoid Park etc.
7. Werner Herzog - believes in the voodoo of location and the ecstatic truth of the moment, which usually involves him lying in some way. Every failure can be excused for the new images he creates in Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre.
8. Woody Allen - I have lots of his DVD's lying around and most of them are good for a chuckle - especially the symbolist ones.
9. Christopher Nolan - master of mood.
10. Lukas Moodysson - Just for Fucking Amal.

bill 27th Mar 2009 18:25

Hmm. I'm not sure, when I look back on it later, how accurate I'll think this list is, but, in no particular order:

Alfred Hitchcock - self-explanatory

The Coen Brothers - Miller's Crossing was a huge movie for me in my formative years, and it's still one of the best movies I've ever seen. And also all the other movies they've made.

Werner Herzog - It took me a while to really latch on to Herzog, which probably isn't an unheard of reaction, but now I think his stuff is absolutely hypnotic, even when I'm not crazy about it.

Akira Kurosawa - also self-explanatory, I would think, but I want to mention two of his films that aren't as well known as, say, Seven Samurai, but which are nevertheless brilliant: High and Low, a masterful, moving and gripping crime film; and Do-des Ka'den, his first color film, and a magnificent look at the intertwined lives of a small community of poor people.

Robert Altman - For Gosford Park, Nashville, Short Cuts, Thieves Like Us and etc.

Martin Scorsese - I have no particular ambition -- or, more accurately, "outlandish dream" -- to be a film director. Nevertheless, every time I watch Goodfellas, I wish I'd made it, because, oh, how proud of myself I would be.

Jean-Pierre Melville - I've only seen four of his films, but Melville is perhaps to greatest director who has ever lived. He is at once fiercely precise and elegantly artful. And he made crime films. See, especially, Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge.

Otto Preminger - Preminger also did his best work in the crime genre, and was also very precise and free of empty flash. When he puts the camera somewhere, it's because that's the best -- and therefore only -- place for the camera to be. See Fallen Angel, Angel Face, Laura and Daisy Kenyon.

David Lynch - He makes horror films really, doesn't he? Not exclusively, but how uneasy do you feel when watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me or Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire? And any confusion you feel while watching these films only adds to the uneasiness. The question "what in the hell is going on" is never fully answered, and the dread remains.

The Andersons - Look, I'm cheating! But I love and admire the films of Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson equally. PT Anderson, with There Will Be Blood, went in a direction that no one could have predicted, with a film that is both brilliantly classical and immensely unusual. Wes Anderson, some claim, has been spinning his wheels since Rushmore, but I think his films have just gotten richer and more moving (maybe not quite funnier, though) since.

Stanley Kubrick - One of the great mad geniuses of the 20th century. Seeing 2001 on a giant screen in Washington, DC as a teenager was a movie-going experience like none other.

So that's eleven (actually, twelve). So sue me.

John Self 27th Mar 2009 21:53

Thirteen actually, what with the Coens and all.

I'm afraid I've never heard of Melville, bill. Any more information on his stuff?

bill 27th Mar 2009 22:02

Originally Posted by John Self (Post 105516)
I'm afraid I've never heard of Melville, bill. Any more information on his stuff?

What kind of information? I'm actually kind of new to him myself -- I'd never seen any of his films until a year or so ago -- but he only made thirteen films, from 1949 to 1972, and while I say he "made crime films", which he did, he made other kinds, too. He made a film about the French Resistance called Army of Shadows, which had never been seen in the US until a few years ago, and he also made an adaptation of Jean Cocteau's Les Enfants Terribles.

What I love about him, briefly, is that at his best he was able to get across an amazing amount of information regarding character and story and mood with incredible efficiency, and a wonderfully graceful style.

I don't know if that's what you're looking for, though...

John Self 27th Mar 2009 22:27

That'll do nicely.

saliotthomas 28th Mar 2009 10:57

Coen brothers
Jean Renoir
David Cronenberg
Terry Guilliam
Stanley Kubric
Steven Speilberg
John Huston
Ridley Scott
Joseph Mankievitch
Martin Scorcese

10 bis

Takeshi Kitano
Bertrand Blier
Jim jarmush
Wim Wenders
Clint Eastwood
Woody Allen
Sergio Leone

I rediscovered Melville not long ago.Le maitre du film noir.Mostly cold and efficent thrillers,when cinema was interested by the escencial.

The Third Man 28th Mar 2009 14:18

Originally Posted by saliotthomas (Post 105521)
David Cronenberg

How did I forget? And I also overlooked Fulci, Argento, Mario Bava and, to a lesser degree, his son Lamberto who all deserve a mention. Make it a top 20, I think we're all struggling here...

Good lists y'all.

JunkMonkey 29th Mar 2009 0:11

As with any top ten I have trouble juggling those I think should be included because they are 'important' and 'great', and those that I just like even though they are mere pimples on the backside of history. Then, after getting in a tizzy and dropping my balls (to carry a metaphor slightly past its sell-by date), I just pick the ones that make me go "Oh Goody!" when I see their names come up on the credits.

So, in no particular order My top Ten Movie Directors of All Time (so far):
  1. Orson Welles - For Confidential Report and Lady From Shanghai if nothing else.
  2. Michael Powell - for making me cry.
  3. Edward Wood Jr. - perversely I find his incompetence immensely endearing.
  4. Jim Jarmusch - For finally making me see Bill Murray IS funny and Mystery Train.
  5. David Lynch - for almost bewildering me more consistently than anyone else.
  6. Busby Berkeley - pure abstraction
  7. Buster Keaton - for making me laugh more consistantly than anyone else.
  8. Jacques Tourneur - For showing the world that less is more and making a bus scary.
  9. Frank Capra - for occasionally making me proud I'm an American - when I'm not.
  10. Preston Sturges - For The Lady Eve if nothing else

Adr. 3rd Apr 2009 13:50

In no particular order:

1. Guillermo Del Toro - for Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy and Cronos
2. Stanley Kubrick - for Barry Lyndon
3. Terrence Mallick - The Thin Red Line, poetry on film
4. Orson Welles - for Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons
5. Terry Gilliam - Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
6. Martin Scorsese - for The King of Comedy and Raging Bull
7. David Cronenberg - for Crash, Dead Ringers and A History of Violence
8. Paul Thomas Anderson - who has yet to put a foot wrong
9. The Coen Brothers - The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona and No Country for Old Men
10. David Lynch - for everything