PDA

View Full Version : We Thought we were Cool: Palimpsest's Teen Craze Confessions

Wavid
22nd Sep 2004, 16:02
We all must have been involved in a gang of some description, whether it be mods, punks, grebos, goths, chavs or whatever. Except maybe John Self, who was probably trying to read the entire works of Terry Pratchett at the time.

So lets have some confessions please! Membership of gangs, taking part in glue sniffing, terrible fashion. We want to know it all!

gil
22nd Sep 2004, 16:09
I was never cool all through school and university. Was always regarded as a bit of a bespectacled swot. I thought I was cool when I took up stock car racing at age 25 or so.

Colyngbourne
22nd Sep 2004, 16:22
A bespectacled swot here too, in my teenage years (until the arrival of contacts), wearing thoroughly uncool clothes (though rather defiantly) until I veered slightly into the goth/hippy sub-group in sixth form and wore a lot of baggy-sleeved, Indian cotton shirts. There was no other girl among my peers who was into sci-fi or reading or being a swot (and being bolshie about it). I couldn't be bothered with boys at that point 8)

I barely stuck it out with my peers at uni and spent most of my time with the post-graduates who shared our college, such that I was officially reprimanded by the college tutor for not sticking (or dining) with my fellow undergrads. I wore a load of rubbish then as well, but didn't we all?

Come on, you lot - confess :D

amner
22nd Sep 2004, 16:28
Oh dear, I'm not sure I've ever been cool, despite wishing to be (of course).

Perhaps the uncoolest thing was donning all the absurd gear that goes with seeing 'metal' bands, a fad I entertained for far too long during my upper and lower 6th (readers of The Rotters Club start nodding now). Good Lord, but I wilt inside thinking of the shite I had to endure in the name of gigging in those days. Read 'em and weep:

April Wine
The Michael Schenker Group
Scorpions
Rainbow
Gillan

:oops:

...and many more. All, well most, at the Sheffield City Hall (great venue that, mind). But it was the ridiculous garb you had to be seen in that really sends the shivers into overdrive. Denim jackets with the arms cut off over the top of biker jackets (despite not having a bike). Long hair - I have some photos somewhere - and petouli oil. Jeesh.

I soon saw sense and now look upon this period, no more than a couple of years, as the sweaty bridge between my punk twilight and the many-varied delights of Joy Div, Smiths, etc. etc. A sort of musical perineum, if you will.

Colyngbourne
22nd Sep 2004, 16:49
I inherited listening to that lot
April Wine
The Michael Schenker Group
Scorpions
Rainbow
Gillan
from my brother at probably the same time. Didn't April Wine have an album called :oops: Harder...Faster...?

I'm sorry, but the lurking hippy in me won't allow you to knock patchouli oil (bought from a shop just behind Sheff. City Hall)... 8)

amner
22nd Sep 2004, 17:19
Didn't April Wine have an album called :oops: Harder...Faster...?

Yeah. Just found this:
http://www.aprilwine.ca/albums/April%20Wine%20-%20Discography%20-%20Harder_____Faster_files/harder150.jpg

A hard-rocking, no-nonsense album, Harder.....Faster featured the song I Like to Rock, which was immediately embraced by American radio

Goodness. Worse still, that album includes a cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. What the F...?!

I'm sorry, but the lurking hippy in me won't allow you to knock patchouli oil (bought from a shop just behind Sheff. City Hall)... 8)

'patchouli', apologies, I knew I had that wrong. You spelling despot, you.

Colyngbourne
22nd Sep 2004, 17:25
That's the album :roll: :oops:

Some of us still appreciate patchouli in teeny weeny doses anyway :wink:

I think I almost certainly made a prat of myself trying to be fiercely unclubbable and resolutely loner-ish at school. Ah, the teenage angst of it all...... :oops:

bradyguido
22nd Sep 2004, 17:42
I remember the first time I ever head banged, aged about 16, and actually couldn't lift my chin off my chest for days afterwards, VERY uncool. I also burnt my thumb on my lighter holding it aloft at a Guns 'n' Roses concert. Oh, the shame :oops: As you can guess I was quite into heavy metal rock, but i leant towards the glam stuff. My friends and I used to wear a lot of leather.... trousers, caps, thight high boots. Also cut off army shorts and fishnet tights with big Para boots You would NEVER know it to look at me now!

bradyguido
22nd Sep 2004, 17:45
not only that... but my present boyfriend used to be a proper raver in the late 80s, early 90s. If anyone at the time had told me that one day I would date a raver, I would never, ever, ever have believed it. :lol:

amner
22nd Sep 2004, 18:14
I've always found a good acid test for what's cool and what's not is to play the "how would Rik from The Young Ones say it" game.

http://waepoint.com/logos/young-rik.jpg

Curl the lips, two 'peace' Vs, a roll of the R and then:

R-r-r-rock

Puts me off immediately I must say.

John Self
22nd Sep 2004, 18:58
My friends and I used to wear a lot of leather.... trousers, caps, thigh high boots. Also cut off army shorts and fishnet tights

:shock:

youjustmightlikeit
23rd Sep 2004, 1:15
:twisted:

amner
23rd Sep 2004, 11:09
You're not that lass who used to be in Heart are you, Young Old Lady?

bradyguido
23rd Sep 2004, 11:18
HEHEHEHEHHE! Thankfully, no.

gil
23rd Sep 2004, 11:18
Lotta mention of Sheffield there. In 1973-74, I was in Sheffield writing / installing a medical records system at the Hallamshire Hospital.
Now how's this for uncool? The Hallamshire couldn't afford their own computer for this work. The master index for the Sheffield teaching hospitals ran on the Wigfalls computer! (Wigfalls being the Sheffield equivalent of Comet / Curries in those days)

Colyngbourne
23rd Sep 2004, 11:23
In 1973-74 I was in Mrs. Marsden's class in north Sheffield. We used to go to Wigfall's on a Saturday and sit dead bored in the back of the car while my parents had a look around (ditto furniture shops...)

John Self
23rd Sep 2004, 11:38
In 1973-74 I was filling my nappy with the proficiency which I would later apply to internet message boards.

bradyguido
23rd Sep 2004, 11:39
In 1973-74 I was merely a twinkle in my newly married parents eyes. :wink:

gil
23rd Sep 2004, 15:12
In 1973-74 I was in Mrs. Marsden's class in north Sheffield. We used to go to Wigfall's on a Saturday and sit dead bored in the back of the car while my parents had a look around (ditto furniture shops...)

Now, there's a coincidence, Col, because the Wigfall's programmer we interfaced with was called Rob Marsden, he definitely lived North of Sheffield, and I'm pretty sure his wife was a teacher! Mystic connections, eh?

bakunin_the_cat
23rd Sep 2004, 18:55
For most of 73 I was a bump. Towards the end of November I graduated to a state of lying on my back, drinking, defecating and sleeping. The defecating's a little more civilised these days after the discovery of the water closet but everything else is pretty much the same.

bradyguido
23rd Sep 2004, 18:57
I used to wear Grolsch bottle tops on my shoes. Pop quiz: anyone know why?

John Self
23rd Sep 2004, 19:12
A Brosette, presumably!

Colyngbourne
23rd Sep 2004, 19:13
Yes, it was that band, that I always think was the Beastie Boys but wasn't necessarily. The Beastie Boys went after VW signs, didn't they?

I tried to get a top off a Grolsch bottle the other day and failed. There must have been a knack, YOL?

It could well have been the very Marsden, gil! I'll hunt out a pic of her.

pandop
23rd Sep 2004, 19:15
In 1973-74 I was merely a twinkle in my newly married parents eyes. :wink:

My parents were married by this time, but seeing as I didn't arrive until several years afterwards, I doubt I was even a twinkle :shock:

Hazel

Colyngbourne
23rd Sep 2004, 20:39
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/HerbertHouston/Teachers.jpg

Mrs. Marsden was the one to the right of the headmaster.

NottyImp
23rd Sep 2004, 21:19
I used to have appalling dress-sense and taste in music. And I still do...

bradyguido
24th Sep 2004, 11:14
A Brosette, presumably!

Yes. The most embarassing fashion trend ever. Utterly pointless.

bakunin_the_cat
24th Sep 2004, 11:20
I went through a phase at college of wearing a big baggy jumper a biker jacket and shorts in December. Why I thought anyone anyone would find my knobbly knees turning blue, attractive or cool, I have no idea. These days my long prog rock hair is hardly the cutting edge of fashion, and to my knowledge, teenage wannabes in Hoxton don't go to the barbers and ask for a Bakunin. To be honest though I don't really care. I guess that's what getting older does for you.

Wavid
24th Sep 2004, 11:34
I went through a phase at college of wearing a big baggy jumper a biker jacket and shorts in December.

Were you listening to Ned's Atomic Dustbin and PWEI at the timre, Bak?

amner
24th Sep 2004, 11:43
blimey, 'Kill Your Televison' ... now that's a long time ago. I can just picture the image you're referring to, Wavid, so come on Bak, is he right?

caprilaser
24th Sep 2004, 15:28
I have far too many embarassing confessions to list here, and tragically, they keep on going...

One of my friends was in a group called 'Disposable Emotions' though. How cool is that? (Answer: not very)

And one of my friend's parents thought our group of friends was like the 'latter-day Bloomsbury set'. How insulting!

gil
24th Sep 2004, 20:13
Mrs. Marsden was the one to the right of the headmaster.

Hmm... Not sure. I'll show it to Beryl. She'll remember.

Gil

gil
28th Sep 2004, 13:12
Beryl drew a blank.

However. I've dug out Rob's email address, and I'll send him the photo and ask if he recognises anyone!

Colyngbourne
28th Sep 2004, 13:27
That would presumably do it, if they are one and the same. I just looked back at the photo and realise I said that she was the one on the headteacher's right. I mean, as we are looking at it - not on *his* right hand as he would see it. So the lady with the jolly face, rather than the small lady with the glasses.

gil
29th Sep 2004, 10:40
Miraculously instant reply from Rob Marsden. Regrettably, no connection. Apparently, there are a great many Marsdens in Sheffield. His wife was a nurse, not a teacher, so so much for MY memory. Anyway, it was nice to be back in touch with him, and thank you for that!

bakunin_the_cat
29th Sep 2004, 11:53
Back on the Poppies and Ned's, (see how cool were we, we even used their nicknames, only known to a select group of about fifty million),yes I did listen to them quite a lot as my housemate was really into them along with Sisters of Mercy and Prince when he was still known as Prince and not squiggle or TAFKAP. I would have been far too cool to deliberately copy them but something of their style(?!) probably rubbed off on me.