PDA

View Full Version : Book News

Wavid
9th Sep 2006, 11:20
Following the possibly-permament demise of the Palimp front page, I realised that we no longer had the snippets of news from The Guardian popping up.

So, they appear here now, thanks to John Craven. I'll add some more sources as well as The Guardian as I come across them. If anyone has any suggestions, reply to this post!

If you want to respond to any of the articles, you can reply in the usual way to those.

John Self
9th Sep 2006, 12:24
Wavid, I hate this! I haven't been online since yesterday teatime and I have 40 new threads to go through, about half of which are News Reader ones! It just clogs things up. Can we at least have a poll on whether to keep this or not??

Colyngbourne
9th Sep 2006, 13:28
It does clog things up. I'm not sure we need it. As a small news aggregate on the front page it was manageable but it is already rather overpowering here. Sorry :roll:

Wavid
9th Sep 2006, 14:50
Oh right. There's only so many messages at the moment because it's the first time it's been used - just hit the mark forum read thing and it will be sorted. From then on, it should just be a couple of stories a day.

Totally accept your points though, chaps. Let's let it run for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Hekaterine
11th Sep 2006, 10:12
Couldn't it just be one thread rather than multiples?

Digger
11th Sep 2006, 10:17
I don't like it either really. I can't remember from your 'update' thread if you said the front page is permanantly gone, I sort of miss it.

gil
11th Sep 2006, 11:19
Is this News Reader thing some sort of bot, Wavid? Or is it the publicity editor of the newspaper in question?

In either event, he is getting up my nose, hogging all the New Posts every time. If I want to read a newspaper, I'll buy one, not have it thrust into my favourite forum.

John Self
11th Sep 2006, 11:27
Gil, I've moved your query to this thread, which probably answers it.

I've also taken it upon myself to add a poll! :twisted:

gil
11th Sep 2006, 11:30
Thanks, JS. The poll seems to be telling a consistent story.

John Self
11th Sep 2006, 11:32
And another five new stories have come in since I typed my last message! Grr!

HP
11th Sep 2006, 11:33
In either event, he is getting up my nose, hogging all the New Posts every time. If I want to read a newspaper, I'll buy one, not have it thrust into my favourite forum.

Sorry Wavid, but another one who loathes it, too. And I couldn't agree more with Gil's last statement above.

ono no komachi
11th Sep 2006, 11:42
Couldn't it just be one thread rather than multiples?

I think Hekaterine has had a really good idea there; if it was just one thread and each new story a new post on that thread, that would still leave it available for those who are interested, without the shock of a hundred new threads every time you log in.

Lizzy Siddal
11th Sep 2006, 13:21
In an ideal world:

I'd really like the front page to reappear.
In the absence of which, I'd rather have the newsreader feed into just one thread.
If that's not possible, as I don't read newspapers, I'd rather have the newsreader threads than not. (Perhaps with a clean-up exercise - delete them if no palimpers have commented after about a week.)

Wavid
11th Sep 2006, 13:50
OK, obviously not one of my best ideas. It's gone!

gil
11th Sep 2006, 14:13
I'm sorry if it was a lot of work, but I think you made the right decision.